You all want to fit into the 2 size hot number you saw in the mall the other day. Or you want to struggle less while notching up the belt to the next point. Now a days, while dieting, weight loss is the major concern rather than nutrition. You opt for some random low calorie diet plan which ends up hampering your nutrition. Here are a few tips which can make such a diet plan work for you.
Basic Rules Concerning a Low Calorie Diet Plan
There are certain fundamentals of a low calorie diet plan which needs to be followed by the practitioner. Otherwise, it might harm you more than help you.
- You have to eat less, but healthy. At the same time, you have to keep your self physically active. Otherwise the plan would not work.
- But for being active, one needs energy. For that, one has to consume something to keep the system going. The trick is to eat but to not let the calorie askew. Change in the eating habit might be a necessity too.
- Hunger is the prime hinderance in the way of losing these extra pounds. So you have to eat smartly. Choose eatables with a low energy density. That will let you be fuller for longer and be more nutritious. Energy density is the number of calories in a food item divided by the number of grams. It ranges from zero to nine.
- Always have fixed tenure for a low calorie diet plan or a VLCD (Very Low Calorie Diet). If the time is not stipulated, one might become malnourished, leading to various health complications.
What is a VLCD All About?
A very low calorie diet is something that ensures a healthy gaining of balanced weight. Especially if the practitioner has not benefitted fully from changing his/her eating habits or even from eating smartly; VLCD would be the one thing to go for. Otherwise, most people would not require it to lose weight healthily. Here is what VLCD is all about.
- A VLCD involves eating 1,000 calories a day or even less. It should only be practised for 12 continuous weeks. It has to be done intermittently in every two or three days, interspersed with a low calorie or normal diet.
- In a VLCD, the recommended daily calorie intake is 2,500 for men, and 2,000 for women. It is farless than the intake which is required for a normal healthy weight in either sex.
- That is why, a VLCD is to be started only after your physician declares that it is safe for you to do so. Otherwise, one might become gastritic, anaemic or even anorexic.
- It is advisable to monitor the progress while one is practicing a VLCD. That way, any anomaly in the plan would be detected at the earliest.
- A pregnant woman or a child must never embark on a VLCD.
- A VLCD meal plan must always be fixed in consultation with a dietician as it would vary from person to person.
- Still, one good meal plan for a low calorific day might be this one. For breakfast, you can have ½ cup steel-cut oatmeal with cinnamon and sugar to taste along with 4 egg whites. For lunch, you can have 1 cup split pea soup with a smoked turkey and artichoke sandwich or 2 slices marble rye bread with 2 tbsp artichoke spread and 4 thinly sliced smoked turkey paired with onion tomato and lettuce. For afternoon snack, a 20 gram peanut butter protein bar can be helpful. For dinner, you can eat healthy lettuce wraps with 2 cups cooked chicken, finely chopped ¼ cup medium green onion, 8 oz water chestnuts, ½ cup spicy peanut sauce, 1tbsp mint leaves and 6 lettuce leaves.
Remember, the trick is to lose weight while you are maintaining your normal life. You have to work, so you have to eat. You cannot afford to faint or fall sick. Follow these golden rules and a low calorie diet plan is bound to work in your favor.